Home Made Passata
What you need
Bottles & or large jars – we find 750 mls best for a family of 4
Tomatoes – Romas are best, this is because they have less water in them. However, if you don’t have Romas, cut your tomatoes into chunks the night before and sprinkle them with salt, the excess water can be tipped off before you cook.
Food Processor/ Thermomix/ Bamix/Mincer
1kg Onions – I prefer red onions but brown good too
10 Cloves Garlic – fresh is best
If you want have oregano & or basil on hand
1. Chop/ blitz tomatoes, onions, garlic – you don’t have to de-seed or take skins off. No one will know once they are blitzed
2. Place all ingredients into a pot and bring to the boil, reduce heat and leave on a rolling boil for 20-30 minutes. It will reduce
3. Put all jars in the oven to sterilise @105 degrees for approx. 15 mins
4. Making sure lids are clean, submerge them in a bowl of water with a tbs of vinegar or bleach
5. Once passata has reduced to your liking then bottle hot. If you can turn your bottle upside down so that the heat from the sauce helps the lid reseal.